Thursday, October 28, 2010

Creative wall ideas for kid spaces

It's no secret that children are some of the most creative creatures on this planet. They are not hindered by the limitations we adults often times place on ourselves. So when decorating a child's room, think about giving them a space that will allow their imaginations to run wild.

One of the easiest ways to achieve this goal is through decorative wall treatments. It doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. You can create custom or semi-custom looks with paint, wall decals, wall art and more. Below are some wall treatment ideas, including some of my own, to get your creative juices flowing!

Paint
Paint is one of the cheapest decorating tricks that can provide the most impact to a space. With a couple of rolls of painters tape, a ruler, a laser level, and a smidgen of imagination, you can create one-of-a-kind wall treatments for your child's room. If using more than one color, consider buying the quart size or sample size. That way you don't have to worry about what to do with all that left over paint. It's easier on your wallet and good for the environment, too!
Nadia's old nursery. Fit for a princess!

Simone's old room. Rhinestone studded diamonds!

Consider stripes, circles, harlequin, or free-hand designs. If you don't think you have any artistic capabilities, no problem! You can rent a projector to project the image on the wall, trace it, then fill it in with color. You'll amaze yourself with what you're capable of and if you don't like the finished results, paint over it. Just get a second opinion before you do. We adults tend to over criticize ourselves and what we think is "crap" may actually be good.


Miles' future nursery in rugby stripes.

Simone and Nadia's new pink & purple room.

DesignDazzle.blogspot.com
  
Wall Decals
The abundance of wall decals on the market today make it super easy to add flair to your kid's space. Many of the wall decals are vinyl which makes them repositionable so if you don't like where you've placed it, just peel and reapply. You can find wall decals at Target, JoAnn's, WhatisBlik.com and many, many more. I found the Eiffel Tower decal I used to decorate Simone and Nadia's room on clearance at World Market.

Available at Target.com


Available at World Market

Wall Art
Have you ever been tempted to buy every single accessory in a children's bedding set, including the wall art? If you have, then consider replacing the coordinated wall art with some of your own. Make customized wall plaques of your child's name or monogram using small canvases and wooden letters. Frame images of your child using scrapbook paper or fabric as the matte. Create shadow boxes and include personal items such as baby's first toy. Websites like Land of Nod, Rosenberry Rooms, and WallNutz have plenty of paintings, murals, and wall decals to choose from.


Land of Nod

Below, LaKeitha Duncan (home23duncanboys.blogspot.com) created wall art in a baby's nursery using alphabet poster cards from Land of Nod.
Nursery by L. Duncan at Home23Duncanboys.blogspot.com
 As you can see the possibilities for decorative wall treatments are endless and you are only limited by your imagination. What not let the child in you run wild?

P.S. I would have had more images of creative wall treatments for this post, but my computer is old and crappy and would only let me do one upload at a time before I had to log out and log back on to do another. Oh well...it's the perfect excuse for a follow up post!

6 comments:

  1. I bought Paris, France vinyl for my daughter from World Market. When I tried to remove it, 3 year old latex paint came off with the vinyl. Not recommended.
    Love you blog, just not that sticker from World Market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, love the rugby stripes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Restoring, I too, unfortunately found out that the wall decal from World Market will pull the paint. It's not a vinyl decal and has a very strong adhesive on the backing. If you're ever in this bind again, a friend of mine suggested keeping your leftover paint in Rubbermaid's Paint Buddy for quick touch ups.

    I have used other wall decals that were actually vinyl and didn't have the peeling paint issues as I did with the World Market one. Maybe the peeling paint will inspire you to revamp the room?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mimi! Thank you for checking out my blog. I really had fun painting the rugby stripes. Now it's time to finish the nursery because my son is so ready to move out of his bassinet. We're going to paint his crib, dresser, and shelves this week and I must make a trip to Michaels to create a custom art piece for the room. I'll be sure to post pics when everything is done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thanks for the mention! Have you finished the nursery? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lakeitha, I wish I could say I was finished but I lost my motivation after I attempted to paint my son's crib brown with spray paint. The muscles in my forearm were so for over a week. Anyway, do you want to know something funny? When we went to put the crib together, we realized that my husband gave me the wrong crib parts to paint so now the front legs of the crib are white and the rest of it is brown. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix that problem. I also wanted to paint the dresser, shelves, and rocking chair, but right now I'm too tired to tackle it. I want create some wall art featuring my son's name. Do you have any ideas?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...